In broad terms enrichment is defined as additions to your dogs environment and lifestyles that your dog voluntarily interacts with and as a result these experiences improve physical and psychological health of your dog.
We stock a variety of Sodapup and West Paw enrichment toys chartering from the light chewers through to the power chewers. There are so many options in these ranges to keep it interesting with different shapes, sizes textures so your dog never needs to get board with their toys. Our treat dispensing dog toys are easy stuff, anfreezabled even top rack dishwasher friendly. Both brands are 100% USA made.
Dogs have a natural instinct to forage for food making treat dispenser toys like the Sodapup can toys, cupcake, Lifesavers, Westpaw Toppls, tux's the perfect options for this.
How to stuff your Sodapup & West Paw enrichment toys
Start with thinking of what types of your dog loves. Do they love soft foods like peanut butter and yoghurt? are the into raw food or kibble or maybe they love both.
We suggest that the base of your enrichment mixture is something that acts as a gelling agent e.g. condensed bone broth, raw food, apple sauce, pureed veggies or fruit, cottage cheese, peanut butter for example. These help to hold it together inside the toy.
Now your ready to fill the toy with food items that your dog will love. Here are some of things that we use to fill our toys
- Apples Diced (Core / seed removed) / Apple Sauce
- Blackberries (Avoid if feeding inside as they will stain)
- Blueberries (Avoid if feeding inside as they will stain)
- Broccoli (Stems included)
- Canned Pet (they are many quality NZ brands)
- Cottage Cheese
- Flax Seeds
- Honey (Small amounts as it full of sugar)
- Kibble (Can add water and blend to make a paste)
- Kumera / Sweet Potato (Cooked / Mashed)
- Meal toppers (Freeze dried)
- Meat - Chicken / Beef / Lamb / Goat etc
- Oranges / Mandarins (In moderation)
- Peanut Butter
- Pumpkin / Squash (Cooked / mashed)
- Rice (Cooked)
- Rock Melon
- Watermelon (Seeds removed)
- Yoghurt (plain, low fat we use protein yoghurt)
Then let you pup enjoy either fresh or frozen.